Details for Full-Time News Reporter
The Belle Plaine Herald is seeking a full-time reporter responsible for covering local and area news, city and school board meetings, sports and feature stories for a weekly newspaper in Belle Plaine, MN. Must be a natural storyteller who can write investigative articles, feature stories, basic news and breaking news stories quickly and on a variety of topics.
- Writing, editing, photography for weekly newspaper, website, social media, email newsletters and special supplements.
- Evaluate news leads, press releases and news tips to develop stories each week.
- Identify and pitch captivating and newsworthy story ideas.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest area news by attending and covering local events, being an active member of the community and creating good relationships.
- Share applicable stories with our sister publication, The Henderson Independent, and assist as needed.
Must be able to work independently and on deadline with a solid work ethic and a flexible schedule.
Must have a degree in Journalism, English, or Communications and have strong reporting skills and an interest in covering community news.
Candidate should be proficient in InDesign (or willing to learn) and comfortable using social media.
Must be local or willing to relocate for this on-site position.
Send resume and writing samples to email@example.com