From Our Files - 10 Years Ago
Be sure to sign up for our eNewsletters to get the Friday eNews email which features the Herald from 10 years ago.
Thirty Years Ago (1989)
The 115-year-old Sacred Heart Church was completely demolished on Friday, March 31, by Chard Tiling and Excavating. Bricks and stones were removed from the rubble of the church over the weekend by former parishioners who hoped to use the souvenirs for sidewalks in their backyards or as ornamental pieces in their gardens.
The statue of St. Patrick, which had been part of the Sacred Heart Church’s Irish heritage, appeared on St. Patrick’s Day at Our Lady of the Prairie Catholic Church. After standing alone in the vacant church for seventeen years, the statue received a new coat of paint by artist Lynn Albrecht and was one of few items to make the six-block journey from Sacred Heart to OLP.
The Belle Plaine City Council was looking for members on three new separate committees to study the following issues: city’s water department policies, ways of improving the entrances into town, and expansion of the current old fire hall task force.
Jason Einertson, the sixth grade son of Phoebe and Dave Einertson, was rewarded by his parents for his improved grades with a week, Feb. 19-24, at the U. S. Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama.
Phoebe Einertson, advisor for the Young Astronauts’ Club at Belle Plaine Elementary School, was one of 120 teachers nationwide to receive a NEWEST Award, which stood for NASA Elementary Workshop for Elementary Science Teachers and involved a two-week all expenses paid seminar to NASA’s Lewis Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio.
BPHS Counselor Mike Cote hoped at least fifteen other bicyclists would join him to form a “Sweet 16” group of Belle Plaine representatives on KARE 11’s 150-mile Bike Classic from St. Paul to La Crosse, Wisconsin, on June 24 and 25, to promote Belle Plaine as a progressive community and a Star City to the rest of the state.
Belle Plaine Kid Wrestlers topped off their season in high fashion at the Jaycee State Wrestling Tournament on Saturday, April 1, in Janesville. Three grapplers won their division and were crowned champions – John Weldon, Nick Slack, and Tim Weldon. Nathan Hanson dropped a tough final match to finish as a runner-up, while Jacey Koepp and Sonny Willson captured third place honors.
BPHS track practice started March 8, with close to 60 students – 23 boys and 34 girls in grades 7-12 – participating. Both boys’ and girls’ teams that year shared three coaches – Ms. Wischnack, Mr. Riggs, and Mr. Noah. The first meet of the season on March 17 was canceled due to a snowstorm. At their meet on Saturday, April 1, at Mankato State University, the girls earned second place and the boys placed fifth out of seven conference teams.
60 Years Ago (1959)
Only 323 voters, the lightest turnout in eight years, went to the polls in the annual borough election, with only one contest on the ballot. Pat Fogarty edged Wm. Steffen 172 to 147 for the council seat vacated by M.F. Redman.
The council for the ensuing year consisted of Mayor C.F. Mueller and Councilmen Emil Ashauer, George Smith, Paul Keup, Gene T. O’Brien, and Pat Fogarty.
Belle Plaine volunteer firemen found it almost a full-time job fighting grass and brush fires. Five blazes in seven days kept them jumping.
Charles D. Weldon, remembered by most as “Chuck the Indian”, was the object of a feature story in the Antelope Valley California Ledger Gazette. Main theme of the story told how Weldon, even though handicapped, unselfishly donated his time and interest to community activities, especially with youth groups.
Paul Keup was presented with a merit award for his sales achievements and membership in the 100-Car Club, a high honor for Chevrolet salesmen.
One of the oldest, if not the oldest, building in Belle Plaine was soon to be torn down. The borough council called for bids to remove the building owned by the city on the east side of the borough hall, known as the Kulisheck building.
Terry Moriarty, BPHS graduate, was named president of the junior class at Mankato State College during the 1959-60 term.
Dates were set for a three-day celebration that summer. The celebration, which still lacked a name or theme, was set for July 10, 11, and 12. The committee was headed by Walter Witt and Lee Mueller.
The Scott County Board by a vote of 3 to 1 adopted a resolution to go along with Hennepin and other counties of the metropolitan area in favoring daylight time for the three summer months.
At St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Arlington, James J. O’Neil, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thos. O’Neil, was united in marriage to Miss Muriel Kemp, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leo Kemp of that place.
A $25,000 remodeling program was planned to help the St. Paul House in Shakopee with a new entertainment program. Major change was a theatrical-type stage complete with footlights and dressing rooms for performers.
Rapid growth of Flying Cloud Field on top of the Shakopee hill prompted Nelson-Ryan Flight Service to build a new display hangar.
Former Tiger baseball manager, Gene F. O’Brien of Faribault, was scheduled to be the guest speaker at the annual BPHS Lettermen’s Banquet.
90 Years Ago (1929)
Ground was broken and work started on the addition to the Belle Plaine Public School. Contracts were let in the amount of $78,000 for construction, heating, and electrical work.
Matt Gansen, who bought three lots north of the Foldest Oil Station, planned to build on that site.
After an absence for 2½ years, Gertrude Neubeiser arrived home from Italy where she had been in training for a place in the grand opera at one of the famous schools of Milan.
The marriage of George Taylor, Belle Plaine, and Miss Ruby Hartvig of Milwaukee, took place in the latter city.
Robert G. Haig of Columbia, South Dakota was engaged by the school board as Belle Plaine’s new superintendent, succeeding G.S. Laumann who retired after two terms.
Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Anderson were tendered a surprise party by their West Union neighbors on the eve of their departure for Minneapolis.
At Sacred Heart Church took place the marriage of Miss Teresa Kirchoff to Henry J. Currie of Minneapolis. The couple established their home in Minneapolis.
Belle Plaine lost its oldest citizen in the death of Fred Voigt in his 92nd year. For many years he was caretaker for Oakwood Cemetery and had also served as street commissioner for Belle Plaine.
The P.C. Ehrenbergs went to Appleton to attend the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. Ehrenberg’s parents.
The St. Thomas parish staged a very successful home talent play, “A Full House”.
Anthony Meger, 17-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. John F. Meger, died after an illness with pneumonia.
120 Years Ago (1899)
The river was bank full and running over the road at the cutoff to a depth of three feet.
The school board re-engaged all its teachers: Miss Clark and Mrs. Ronayne at $35 a month each, L.A. Taylor at $45 a month, and M.E. Bancroft at $70 a month.
George H. Clemens, manager of a show company that played a week here, was so well pleased with his reception that he bought two lots and arranged to have a house constructed for his parents whom he planned to move here from West Concord.
John T. Russell moved in from the farm to make his home in Belle Plaine.
The bank statement showed a total of $59,000 on deposit in the Belle Plaine Bank.