The Belle Plaine Herald would like to inform the public and candidates running for office of our election policies and guidelines as we near the November 6 elections.
· The Belle Plaine Herald does not endorse candidates for local, state or national office.
· Letters to the Editor must be local and address pertinent or timely issues of interest to our community.
· Candidates may not use the letters to the editor to communicate their views or to ask for votes, but may take out paid political advertising.
· All letters to the editor and advertising content submitted is at the sole discretion of the Editor and reserves the right to verify information before publication.
· Election-related letters to the editor must be 600 words or less.
· All political letters to the editor must be received at the Herald office by the deadline for our print edition being published two weeks prior to the date of the election. For this year’s election the deadline is: Oct. 19.
· Political letters to the editor will not be published in the newspaper the week prior to the election – Oct. 31, however paid political advertising is accepted.
· All letters to the editor must be signed and include the address, email address and phone number of the writer. Email addresses and phone numbers are for questions and verification purposes only and will not be published.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, you can contact the Editor, Dan Townsend, at the Herald office at (952) 873-2261.